Zoning Bylaw Review
BackgroundThe current Regional District of Alberni-Clayoquot Zoning Bylaw No. 15 (download PDF) was adopted in 1973 and has since been amended over 700 times. The Zoning Bylaw had not received a comprehensive review until 2016 when a draft was made available to the public for input at open houses. Further revisions were made, and an updated draft Zoning Bylaw was presented to the public at open houses between May to August 2019 in all six Electoral Areas (EAs).
Highlights of the Zoning Bylaw Review & OCP Updates
- a new easy to read, more user-friendly format for the Zoning Bylaw
- additional, updated and easier to understand definitions
- amalgamated and simplified zones, and introduction of sub-zones
- zone names more consistent with OCPs
- revised general regulations, including keeping of animals and private moorage facilities
- regulations in water zones for private moorage facilities, in accordance with provincial regulations
- updates to zoning maps to reflect new zones, ensure consistency with OCPs, and that are easier to review
- updates to OCP land use and Development Permit Area maps that are easier to review
- minor updates to the OCPs, including standardized minimum lot size for accessory dwelling units and length of term for Temporary Use Permits across all EAs, and new policies for private moorage facilities
2019 Zoning Bylaw Review Open HousesThe ACRD hosted six open houses, between May and August 2019, to review a draft of the Zoning Bylaw, updates to the zoning maps, and minor updates to the OCPs. Display boards from the open houses can be downloaded in PDF below.
- Sproat Lake | May 29 | Sproat Lake Community Hall
- Bamfield | June 6 | Bamfield Fire Hall
- Cherry Creek | June 13 | Cherry Creek Community Hall
- Beaufort | July 23 | Beaver Creek Community Hall
- Beaver Creek | July 31 | Beaver Creek Fire Hall
- Long Beach | August 14 | Ucluelet Community Centre
2020 Draft Zoning Bylaw & OCP UpdatesSince the 2019 open houses, staff have continued to further refine the May 2019 version of the Zoning Bylaw, six EA Official Community Plans (OCPs), and update the zoning, OCP land use and Development Permit Area maps into a format that's easier to review. This was completed by working with Electoral Area Directors, agencies, and the public, to better align the ACRD's zoning regulations with the policies and goals set out in the OCPs. The overarching OCPs provide guiding statements of objectives and policies for planning and land use decisions. By ensuring this alignment, the ACRD expects to create a more certain process and outcome for landowners and developers, improving clarity and addressing current planning issues. DRAFT ZONING BYLAW The July 31, 2020 Draft Zoning Bylaw is available to review (download PDF). Part of the Zoning Bylaw Review included updating zone names from what is currently used in Zoning Bylaw No. 15. The list of current zone abbreviations, and updated zone and sub-zone names and abbreviations is available to review (download PDF). The following draft zoning maps in PDF below indicate the zone or sub-zone that applies to properties in the ACRD:
- Zoning - Map Legend
- Zoning - ACRD Mapbook (all land in the ACRD)
- Zoning - Select Bamfield Area A Mapsheets
- Zoning - Select Long Beach Area C Mapsheets
- Zoning - Select Sproat Lake Area D Mapsheets
- Zoning - Select Cherry Creek Area F Mapsheets
Current zoning maps are available here.
PROPOSED OCP UPDATESThe July 31, 2020 summary of proposed OCP updates to the six EA OCPs is available to review (download PDF). The following draft OCP land use maps in PDF below indicate how land has been designated for each use, outlined in the corresponding OCP, to accommodate both present and proposed uses and facilities.
- OCP - Bamfield Area A Land Use Mapbook
- OCP - Beaufort Area B Land Use Mapbook
- OCP - South Long Beach Area C Land Use Mapbook
- OCP - Sproat Lake Area D Land Use Mapbook
- OCP - Beaver Creek Area E Land Use Mapbook
- OCP - Cherry Creek Area F Land Use Mapbook
The following draft OCP Development Permit Area (DPA) maps in PDF below indicate areas that may require a greater level of detail and analysis for proposed development on lands that are considered to have hazardous and/or sensitive conditions:
- OCP - Bamfield Area A DPA Mapbook
- OCP - Beaufort Area B DPA Mapbook
- OCP - South Long Beach Area C DPA Mapbook
- OCP - Sproat Lake Area D DPA Mapbook
- OCP - Beaver Creek Area E DPA Mapbook
- OCP - Cherry Creek Area F DPA Mapbook
Current OCP land use and DPA maps are available in each of the EA OCPs listed here.
BAMFIELD AREA A ZONING BYLAW & OCP UPDATES SUMMARYRecognizing that Bamfield is a remote community with a unique base of community services, a summary document was created to provide an overview of proposed Zoning Bylaw and OCP updates, with Bamfield specific information (download PDF).
Next StepsThe next steps in the process include the following:
- Public review of Spring 2021 updated proposed Zoning Bylaw, OCPs, and maps.
- Review by all six EA Advisory Planning Commissions (APCs).
- Incorporate comments received from the second review process.
- First reading of the bylaws.
- Official agency and First Nation referrals.
- Public Hearing: This will provide another opportunity for public input, as any individual or agency can provide comments until termination of the Public Hearing.
- Second and third readings of the bylaws.
- Adoption of the bylaws.
- Present and communicate updated bylaws.
Keep checking back for updates on the Zoning Bylaw Review, and let us know if you have any questions!