Residents of Port Alberni, Tofino, Ucluelet, hitacu̓̓ (Yuułuʔiłʔatḥ First Nation), Esowista, Ty-Histanis, Port Albion, and Millstream are now placing green organics carts curbside with the Sort'nGo Organics collection service underway in all of these communities!
Sort'nGo Organics: Diverting Waste with Green Carts
The Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District (ACRD) has introduced a new green cart to collect organics (food and yard waste) and divert it from the landfill to a facility that can turn it into nutrient-rich compost.
That means 30 to 50 percent of the waste sent to our landfill can now be diverted into nutrient rich compost - extending the lifespan of the landfill and decreasing harmful greenhouse gases.
Funding to support upgrades to waste services, including the ACRD's Regional Organics Implementation Project, is provided by the Canada Community-Building Fund (formerly known as the Federal Gas Tax Fund).
About the Sort'nGo Organics Program
Here's what you need to know:
- All food scraps - including meat, bones, dairy and greases - are accepted as organics in the 'green cart', along with soiled paper such as paper towels and pizza boxes.
- Yard waste is accepted too. That means you can dispose of grass clippings, tree trimmings and garden waste at the roadside rather than hauling it to the landfill (please note the maximum length for branches in the cart is 24 inches, or two feet, with a two-inch diameter).See theSort'nGo Sorting Guide.
- Invasive species, such as Knotweeds or blackberry bushes, can not be included in the green cart and should be disposed of in the garbage. See a full list of invasives on the BC Government Website.
- Organics are collected every week. Garbage and recycling pick up is every two weeks. Residents can keep track of pick-up dates, and check on how best to dispose of specific items, with the Sort'nGo ACRD app.
Get sorting tips at: www.letsconnectacrd.ca/organics/news_feed/sort-ngo-tips-for-sorting
Visit us at our online engagement hub: Let's Connect where you can find information, videos and more.
Here's some additional resources:
- Frequently Asked Questions - Sort'nGo Organics
- Information Sheet - Sort'nGo Organics
- Welcome Package - Sort'nGo Organics
Get the app
Available for iPhone and Android, the Sort'nGo ACRD app can be downloaded from the Apple store or Google Play. Use it to:
- Check acceptable materials
- Keep track of collection schedules
- Sign up for alerts
Don't have a mobile device? Use the desktop version of the app HERE