Novel coronavirus (COVID-19)
Port Alberni, BC - The Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District (ACRD) and City of Port Alberni are actively monitoring the global, national, and local impacts of COVID-19 and are proactively preparing for any foreseeable potential impacts.
As the lead agencies for British Columbia, the BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) and the BC Ministry of Health are closely monitoring the situation and will provide guidance to the public and local authorities. As local governments, our main role is to help provide accurate and timely information to the public, as well as protect our employees so that we can continue to provide and maintain services for our residents.
The ACRD and the City of Port Alberni have developed a joint Alberni Valley Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Response Plan to help prepare for the potential arrival of COVID-19. The Response Plan aims to strengthen preparedness at the local level, both publically and within the two government organizations.
For a cohesive list of locally based community and information services , view or download: Alberni Valley Service and Information Sources West Coast Service and Information Sources Accessing Care on the West Coast
To follow local updates visit:
If you may have been exposed to COVID-19, residents are requested to contact HealthLinkBC by calling 8-1-1
Please DO NOT proceed to hospital or medical clinic if you think you have been exposed to COVID-19 - Call 8-1-1
Following the advice from the Ministry of Health and the BCCDC, residents are also reminded and encouraged to take the following steps to stay healthy and prevent the spread of infections:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Using soap and water is the single most effective way of reducing the spread of infection
- If a sink is not available, alcohol based hand rubs can be used to clean your hands as long as they are not visibly soiled
- Do not touch your face, eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Cover your mouth and nose with a disposable tissue or the crease of your elbow when you sneeze or cough
- Regularly clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces
- Stay home if you are sick to avoid spreading illness to others
- Do not share food, drinks, utensils, etc.
Click for more tips on social distancing
or to download and print for yourself
To talk to a provincial ServiceBC agent about non-health related information and services such as
- Child care
- Travel restrictions
- Business and funding support
Text 1-604-630-0300 or Call 1-888-COVID19 (1-888-268-4319)
Service is available 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Pacific Time.
March 20 - BC Transit Mandate Letter
Official statement regarding COVID-19 social distancing measures on transit
MORE INFORMATION ON COVID-19
- BC Provincial Support and Information
- The BC Centre for Disease Control
- BC Ministry of Health
- Island Health
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- Alberni Valley Service and Information Sources
- West Coast Service and Information Sources
- Accessing Care on the West Coast
- Call for Donations for those in need
- Daily Meals Available at Salvation Army
- BC Economic & Development Association