Novel coronavirus (COVID-19)
COVID-19 VACCINATION INFORMATION
PORT ALBERNI VACCINATIONS
Port Alberni COVID-19 vaccinations are being offered at the Alberni Athletic Hall and at the Port Alberni Friendship Centre. For the most up to date vaccination eligibility please visit Island Health's website: www.islandhealth.ca/learn-about-health/covid-19/covid-19-vaccine
ALBERNI VALLEY RESPONSE
Port Alberni, BC - The Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District (ACRD) and City of Port Alberni are actively monitoring the global, national, and local impacts of COVID-19 and are proactively preparing for any foreseeable potential impacts.
As the lead agencies for British Columbia, the BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) and the BC Ministry of Health are closely monitoring the situation and will provide guidance to the public and local authorities. As local governments, our main role is to help provide accurate and timely information to the public, as well as protect our employees so that we can continue to provide and maintain services for our residents.
A COVID-19 Response Plan as well as a Path to Recovery Plan have been developed by the ACRD and the City of Port Alberni.
The Response Plan aims to help prepare for the potential arrival of COVID-19 and to strengthen preparedness at the local level, both publically and within the two government organizations.
The Path to Recovery Plan intends to chart a pathway for recovery in the region while taking direction from the Provincial Health Officer. The role of the Plan is to fit within the COVID-19 response and recovery framework provided by the Province
The ACRD is committed to ensuring the health, safety and well being of its employees at all times and, in particular, during the COVID-19 pandemic and has developed a COVID-19 Safety Plan intended for all ACRD sites, employees, subcontractors and essential visitors. This Safety Plan will be updated, as needed, to reflect the best, most current medical/safety information available.
ACRD PUBLIC APPOINTMENTS
While our office doors have been closed we have continued to serve the public by way of phone, email, virtual meetings. Starting on August 31, 2020 the public will have the option to book an appointment with ACRD staff to meet in person at the Regional District Office.
Please contact a member of staff by visiting our District Staff List at https://www.acrd.bc.ca/district-staff-list to request an appointment.
What to Expect:
- Limited capacity to 1 member of the public at a time
- Visitors will be required to wear a mask (masks will be provided) during their appointment
- Visitors will be required to utilize hand sanitizer and fill out a COVID-19 Screening Questionnaire upon entry to the office
- Contact information (name and phone number) will also be collected
General inquires can be directed to 250-720-2700. If you are feeling sick on the day or your appointment, please cancel your appointment and we would be happy to accommodate you on another day.
ACRD COMMUNITY & INFORMATION SERVICES
To follow local updates visit:
PROVINCIAL HEALTH GUIDELINES
Anyone who is concerned that they may have been exposed to, or is experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 should use the BC Self-Assessment Tool to see if they need testing before calling the COVID-19 Testing Call Centre.
Testing is available for individuals experiencing symptoms of COVID-19.
COVID-19 Call Centre 1-844-901-8442
MOUTH RINSE / GARGLE TESTING
Individuals (ages 4+) with COVID-19 symptoms can be tested using a gargle test or a nasopharyngeal swab. Both are good options and will tell you if you have COVID-19. The gargle test method involves swishing and gargling sterile salt water and spitting it into a collection tube. Before calling to book an appointment, please use the self-assessment tool at bc.thrive.health to determine if you or your child needs a COVID-19 test. If a test is recommended, call 1-844-901-8442 to book an appointment (daily 8:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.).
WHAT TO EXPECT AND HOW TO PREPARE
Individuals wanting the option of having a saline gargle test need to review the instructions before coming in for testing, as there is some preparation required.
- Adults and Youth (13-18 years of age): See the gargle test instructions for adults and youth.
- Children: Watch a video about what to expect during the test and see gargle test instructions for child and caregiver.
- For younger children, practice the swish, gargle and spit technique using water at home at least two hours before going to the collection centre.
- One hour prior to the gargle test, do not eat, drink (including water), chew gum, vape or smoke.
- Everyone, including children, must wear a mask when attending the test collection site.
- Go directly home after the test; stay home from school or work, and do not see visitors. Family members should follow the guidance for caregivers.
Following the advice from the Ministry of Health and the BCCDC, residents are also reminded and encouraged to take the following steps to stay healthy and prevent the spread of infections:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Using soap and water is the single most effective way of reducing the spread of infection
- If a sink is not available, alcohol based hand rubs can be used to clean your hands as long as they are not visibly soiled
- Do not touch your face, eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Cover your mouth and nose with a disposable tissue or the crease of your elbow when you sneeze or cough
- Regularly clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces
- Stay home if you are sick to avoid spreading illness to others
- Do not share food, drinks, utensils, etc.
Click for more tips on social distancing
or to download and print for yourself
To talk to a provincial ServiceBC agent about non-health related information and services such as
- Child care
- Travel restrictions
- Business and funding support
Text 1-604-630-0300 or Call 1-888-COVID19 (1-888-268-4319)
Service is available 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Pacific Time.
BC COVID-19 Data
Visit the BC COVID-19 Dashboard or click on the image below for the latest case counts and information on recoveries, deaths, hospitalizations, testing and more.
- January 15, 2021 - PSA Increasing COVID19 Cases
- November 20, 2020 Island Health Central Island COVID update
- October 22, 2020 - COVID 19 Exposure Wood Elementary School
- June 8 2020 - Playgrounds Re-Opening
- May 11 ACRD-CPA COVID-19 Path to Recovery Plan
- April 15 - COVID-19 Provincial Supports summary
- April 8 COVID-19 Fisheries Committee - Protocols for Interactions with Coast Communities
- April 8 - new COVID-19 BC Fisheries Committee formed
- April 8 - BC Parks immediately closes all provincial parks for inscreased COVID-19 action
- April 8 - BC Hydro announces COVID-19 Relief Fund
- April 8 - FortisBC introduces new financial support for customers
- April 7 Message from the District of Ucluelet to West Coast visitors
- April 7 BC Wildfire Service - Category 2, 3 Resource Open Fire Bans
- April 3 2020 School District 70 - Superintendents Weekly Message to Parents
- April 3 VIDEO The Peak 93.3 FM - Dr. Paul Hasselback, Mayor Sharie Minions on THE PEAK this morning
- March 30 VIDEO - COVID-19 Community Update with Mayor Minions and Dr. Lambiotte
- March 29 Media Release - Provincial Grocery Store Guidelines
- March 26 Media Release - Province Issues Open Burning Restrictions
- March 24 - Public Notice - ACRD Board of Directors Meeting and Social Distancing
- March 23 Public Notice - School District 70 Closing all school playgrounds
- March 22 Media Release - Port Alberni and ACRD Playgrounds Closed Until Further Notice
- March 21 Media Release - The City of Port Alberni and ACRD Urge Tourists Not To Travel To The West Coast
- March 20 Public Notice - Kennedy Hill Project Update - COVID-19
- March 20 - BC Transit Mandate Letter
Official statement regarding COVID-19 social distancing measures on transit
- March 17 Public Notice - ACRD Modified Service Delivery & Public Gatherings
- March 16 Media Release - City of PA & ACRD COVID-19 Update
- March 14 Media Release - City of PA & ACRD COVID-19 Update
- March 13 Media Release - City of PA & ACRD Recommendations
- March 12 Media Release - City of PA & ACRD Open Level 1 EOC
- March 11 ACRD-CPA COVID-19 Response Plan
- March 9 Media Release - City of PA & ACRD Actively Monitoring COVID-19
- March 7 Media Release - City of PA & ACRD COVID-19 Update
MORE INFORMATION ON COVID-19
- BC Provincial Support and Information
- The BC Centre for Disease Control
- BC Ministry of Health
- Island Health
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- Alberni Valley Services Directory
- West Coast Services Directory
- Accessing Care on the West Coast
- Call for Donations for those in need
- Daily Meals Available at Salvation Army
- BC Economic & Development Association