Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District – Transportation Advisory Committee
Due to the Highway 4 closure at Cameron Bluffs Wildfire that began on June 6, 2023, and the ongoing impacts to the Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District (ACRD), First Nations, and member municipalities, the ACRD Board of Directors discussed options at the June 14, 2023 Board meeting. At this meeting the ACRD Board directed staff to develop an ACRD Transportation Advisory Committee to consider issues and to make recommendations to the ACRD Board pertaining to transportation options throughout the ACRD.
The scope of the work will be to prioritize transportation options in the Region, inform the ACRD Board and then collectively advocate for these options to higher levels of government. The scope of work could include prioritizing transportation options including a secondary route in and out of the Alberni Valley, the Bamfield Road, the Bamfield/Cowichan Route, and route to the West Coast.
The ACRD Transportation Advisory Committee will build upon work conducted by the previous Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District Transportation Committee that terminated in 2017 after the Province “concluded that an alternative route between Port Alberni and Highway 19 is not financially feasible” (https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2016TRAN0338-002232). Significant work was conducted by committee members, First Nations and agencies for many years on alternate routes between the Alberni Valley and east side of Vancouver Island. For historical context the public facing reports related to this work are provided below:
- Alberni Connector Highway 19 to Highway 4 JUNE 2013_APEX
- Highway 4 Connector via Horne Lake Route Study_Final Report JAN 2008_BINNIE
- Highway 19 Connector to Highway 4 via Horne & Lacey Lake Route Study_Conceptual Design and Cost Estimate OCT 2012_BINNIE
- Highway 19 Connector to Highway 4_Haggard Route Coupled with Lacey Lake Route_Route Study_Conceptual Design and Cost Estimate OCT 2012_BINNIE
- Horne Lake Connector Business Case OCT 2016_CH2M HILL
- Horne Lake Connector Study_Conceptual Design and Construction Cost Estimate AUG 2005_MOTI
- Horne Lake Connector Updated Assessment Final Summary Report JULY 2012_MOTI
- Ring Road Connector Highway 4 to Franklin River Road Route Study_Conceptual Design and Cost Estimate _NO DATE_BINNIE
Please click the link below for the ACRD Transportation Advisory Committee Terms of Reference: