Stay in the Know with Sort'nGo
Thank you for your patience while we experienced some temporary changes to recycling services in the Alberni Valley due to the closure of Highway 4. Our service has now returned to normal:
- Third Avenue Recycling Depot re-opening on Tuesday, June 27 for regular operating hours.
- Both the Third Avenue Recycling Depot and the Alberni Valley Sort'nGo Centre are now accepting cardboard.
- Please be patient with our teams as we expect higher than usual traffic. Consider pre-sorting to speed things up.
Thank you for understandingand your support as we maneuvered our way through this challenging time.
The ACRD now offers a new three-stream waste service in areas throughout the regional district. The new Sort'nGo service will include roadside organics, recycling and garbage automated cart collection and will help the ACRD and the province meet their waste diversion goals. This means residents can divert organics (food and yard waste) away from the landfills, where it takes up space and creates harmful greenhouse gas emissions when buried under garbage.
By implementing an organic waste service, we can begin to divert food and yard waste from the landfill into nutrient-rich compost that can be recycled back into community. This organics collection is also part of a wider update that moves all three waste streams to an auto-collection cart system.
That means organics, recycling and garbage will be collected in uniform carts and picked up at the roadside by collection trucks. The goals of the new Sort'nGo auto-cart program are to provide more efficient collection, keep waste contained, reduce future costs for residents, and extend the lifespan of the landfill.
Three-stream collection was introduced to Port Alberni in September 2021 with organics collection. Learn more at letsconnectacrd.ca/sortngo-port-alberni.
Tofino, Ucluelet & some surrounding west coast communities
The three-stream service will roll out to Tofino, Ucluelet and some surrounding communites in November 2022. As well, the Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation and Yuułuʔiłʔatḥ Government in hitacu have signed on to receive the Sort'nGo service for residents, with plans to launch in September/October, ahead of the full West Coast roll out.
Learn more at letsconnectacrd.ca/sortngo-west-coast
Alberni Valley Electoral Areas B, D, E & F
The ACRD had considered extending the service to electoral areas. After receiving feedback from residents through an online survey in January 2022, directors have decided the service will not move forward. The summary report on survey results can be found here:
2022 Electoral Areas Waste Collection Survey Results (PDF)
Funding to support the ACRD's Regional Organics Implementation Project that includes enhanced waste services and upgrades to the landfill, is eligible through Canada Community-Building Fund (formerly known as the Federal Gas Tax Fund). In 2020, the ACRD received a six-million-dollar grant that will fund the introduction of organics collection in the City of Port Alberni, the West Coast, and potentially AV Electoral Areas including Bamfield, First Nations and surrounding communities.
Stay In-The-Know with Sort'nGo
Download the Sort'nGo app (available for Android and iPhone) and get scheduled alerts, download collection calendars and use a quick search tool for cart sorting to find out what items goes where.
Search "Sort'nGo ACRD" at the Apple Store or Google Play.
To learn more about Sort'nGo in your area, get the latest updates, ask questions, and access the desktop version of the app visit: letsconnectacrd.ca/organics
About the Port Alberni Sort'nGo Service
In September 2021, we launched Sort'nGo Organics in Port Alberni and within the first three months we saw more than 500 tons of organic (compostable) waste diverted from the landfill. This is the equivalent to three blue whales, the largest animal ever known to have lived on Earth! Residents are busy learning how to sort smarter and keep contamination out of the organics and recycling streams. Learn more and subscribe for updates at: letsconnectacrd.ca/sortngo-port-alberni
About the West Coast Sort'nGo Service
Sort'nGo organics is heading to the west coast. Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation and Yuułuʔiłʔatḥ Government in Hitacu) will launch the Sort'nGo service for residents in September/October ahead of the November launch of the service for residents of single-family homes in Tofino, Ucluelet, Port Albion and Millstream. Together, we will begin diverting organic waste away from the West Coast landfill with new green carts for food and yard waste. Learn more and subscribe for updates at: letsconnectacrd.ca/sortngo-west-coast
- 01 March 2022 - Sort'nGo Sees Unprecedented Waste Diversion Rates in City of Port Alberni
- 25 Feb 2022 - Alberni Valley Electoral Areas 3-stream Waste Collection Halted
- 17 January 2022 - Press Release - West Coast organics collection
- 10 January 2022 - Residents Asked to Help Shape the Future of Alberni Valley's Roadside Collection Service
- 17 November 2021 - Port Alberni Residents Asked to Help Decrease Contamination in Sort'nGo Organics Carts
- 13 October 2021 - Port Alberni Residents Divert a Whale's Worth of Organics from Landfill
- 3 September 2021 - Sort'nGo Organics Collection in Port Alberni set to begin Sept. 13
- 11 Aug 2021 - New Uniform Collection Carts Heading to Single Family Homes in Port Alberni
- 19 March 2021 - Alberni Valley Landfill Upgrades
- 21 Jan 2021 - Roadside Organics Collection Coming to Port Alberni: Info Webpage Now Live
Get in Touch
Phone: 250-736-SORT (7678) Email: email@example.com
Request a Presentation
Are you interested in a school presentation about the Sort'nGo service and how it works? Let us know! Please fill out the form below and a member of our team will reach out to you directly.