AgricultureBuilding InspectionMapsPlanningNon-Medical CannabisSomass Watershed Flood Management Plan
Short Term Vacation Rentals
BackgroundNightly, weekend, and weekly short term vacation rental (STR) accommodations on residential properties are increasing. Within the Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District (ACRD) STR's are primarily concentrated within Sproat Lake, Bamfield and Long Beach Electoral Areas and mainly located on properties not zoned for rental accommodation. Regional District staff are increasingly receiving more complaints regarding the STR of properties inconsistent with residential zoning for single family dwellings. Some complaints include the properties being overcrowded, noisy, issues with vehicle and boat parking, public intoxication, traffic and inadequately designed sewage disposal systems.
Public ConsultationIn September and October 2017, the ACRD undertook a series of public consultation initiatives to explore stakeholder input and insights on the local issues related to STRs, learn from other communities' experiences, and determine how to move forward in managing these types of rentals in the ACRD. Public consultation initiatives included a series of open houses (review the open house boards here), display boards at the ACRD office, and an online comment form to gain input on the following policy options for STRs:
- Permit STRs by rezoning the property
- Permit STRs with a Temporary Use Permit (TUP)
- Continue to not permit STRs and enhance enforcement
- Prepare a policy document for consideration by the Board requiring that STR applications are first considered by Temporary Use Permit (TUP);
- Draft an amendment to the Development Procedures Bylaw to increase the application fee for a STR Temporary Use Permit from $300 to $600; and
- Include a potential increase to bylaw enforcement resources to the 2018 budget discussions.
Next StepsShort Term Vacation Rentals Temporary Use Permit Policy Adopted January 24, 2018 Development Application STR TUP
Contact UsFor additional information or if you have any questions, please contact us: Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District
Planning and Development