Please be advised that effective 12:00 pm March 17, 2020 the Port Alberni 3rd Ave Recycling Depot will be closed until further notice. This is a precautionary measure to ensure the health and safety of both depot staff and the general public regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.
Below is a summary of other recycling drop-off locations that may be able to assist residents in the interim.
ACRD Recycling Directory
In the event that there are no recycling drop-off facilities open, residents will be required to store their materials in a safe location until recycling services become available.
Update on other ACRD solid waste services:
- 1. Curbside Collection - there are no changes to the curbside collection services at this time but residents are urged to be diligent with materials separation as collection staff will not be sorting bins to ensure compliance with Recycle BC regulations. The requirement of bag tags for additional garbage bags will be temporally waived.
- 2. Landfill Services - there are currently no changes to landfill operations, other than that we have implemented a cashless payment system where visitors are required to pay via debit or credit.
Product Stewardship or Extended Producer Responsibility Programs (EPRP) are in place to recycle a wide variety of materials.
These programs keep material out of the land fill as required by the provincial Environment Management Act.
Recycling in BC ensures that materials are turned into commodities that can be sold on domestic and international markets.
EPRP programs include Recycle BC curbside and depot recycling, plus many other programs.
Recycle BC Curbside
- Curbside recycling is funded by Recycle BC for designated product packaging and printer paper ONLY (see list)
- Any other materials not on the list constitute contamination and may
- Turn the rest of the recycling into garbage
- Clog up the machinery in the materials sorting facilities
Recycle BC Depots locations and hoursAlberni Valley
3rd Av Depot - 3620 3rd Ave
- Open 7 days a week, 8:30 am to 5 pm Closed Statutory Holidays
AV Landfill Depot - 7080 McCoy Lake Rd
- Summer: Monday to Friday 8:00 am to 5:30 pm
Saturday and Sunday 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
- Winter: Monday to Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Saturday and Sunday 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Summer: Monday to Friday 8:00 am to 5:30 pm
- 570 Bamfield Rd
- Hours Monday to Saturday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Tofino - Westcoast Recycling Depot - 640 Warren Way
- Monday 10am - 4pm
Friday 10am - 4pm
- Saturday 10am - 2pm
- Ucluelet - Westcoast Recycling Depot - 333 Forbes Rd
- Tuesday 10am - 4pm
- Thursday 10am - 4pm
- Saturday 10am - 2pm
Recycle BC materials collected at depots
Other materials collected at Recycle BC depots
|Extended producer responsibility services||3rd Av||AV Landfill||Bamfield||Tofino||Ucluelet|
|Cassette, VHS tapes, CD's, floppy discs, game cartridges||x|
|Electronics, computer equipment||x|
|Clothing (gently used)||x|
|Fridges and freezers||x|
|Gasoline, domestic pesticides, solvents||x|
|Lights, bulbs, fixtures, cords||x|
|Outdoor power equipment||x|
|Recycle BC materials (product packaging, paper)||x||x||x||x||x|
|Residential used antifreeze (incl. containers)||x|
|Residential used oil (incl containers and filters)||x|
|Small household appliances||x|
|Smoke alarms and thermostats||x|
|Soft cover books (no hard cover or textbooks)||x|
Other recycling locations and itemsTo recycle an item not listed here, or at other locations in the ACRD
- Go to the Recyclepedia website https://www.rcbc.ca/recyclepedia/search
- Download the Recyclepedia app https://www.rcbc.ca/services/recyclepedia-app
- Call or email the Recycling Hotline: 1-800-667-4321; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Check the Alberni Valley and West Coast Recycling Directory (e.g. beverage containers, tires, medications and much more)
NEWS LETTERSAlberni Valley Solid Waste and Recycling Newsletter May 2019 Since beginning operations in April 2019, Recycle Matters have recycled over 1500 mattresses from Port Alberni and are working to expand to accept mattresses from the Comox Valley and Nanaimo. This facility is not only diverting materials from our landfill but is providing quality work experience and jobs for individuals who experience barriers to employment in our community. As this recycling enterprise has grown, it has had to move from the 2nd Avenue location to Hector Road to accommodate their increased processing. The processing of larger volumes of materials can be done more efficiently with various equipment which Recycle Matters is slowly acquiring. The new Hector Road location is not set-up for direct drop-off of mattresses, and the public is being asked to use the landfill drop-off location at 7080 McCoy Lake Road.Recycle BC Flexible Packaging Decision Making Chart Recycle BC Other Flexible Plastic Packaging Category Characteristics Recycle BC Other Flexible Plastic Packaging
ACRD RECYCLING PROGRAM - Recycle BC
These things are NOT garbage:2019 ACRD - Recycle BC - Curbside & Depot handouts Curbside Recyclable Materials: Mixed paper, cardboard and boxboard; paper packaging that contained liquids; paper beverage cups and lids; tin and aluminum containers or foil; plastic bottles, containers and tubs under 25L; and empty aerosol cans.
Put these at the curb in your blue bin!
These can also be dropped off at either Depot Location FREE
3rd Ave Recycling Depot or the Landfill Recycling Depot Depot Recyclable Materials: Plastic bags and overwrap; glass jars and containers; and Styrofoam;
Take these to the 3rd Ave Recycling Depot or the Landfill Recycling Depot! FREE Beverage containers: Ready-to-drink beverage containers including; gable tops, juice boxes, cans, bag-in-a box and any container that you paid a deposit for
Take these to the Bottle Depot! Receive a refund on your deposits Stewardship Products: small appliances, batteries, outdoor power equipment, light bulbs (all types), computer equipment and electronics, cell phones, smoke alarms, thermostats, paint,
Take these to 3rd Ave Recycling Depot! FREE Mattresses: mattress and box springs ($20/unit)
Take these to Recycle Matters at Unit 350 - 2750 Harbour Road or the Landfill! Tires: can be returned at the location they were purchased for free or $2/tire at the Landfill
Take these to a local business that sells tires! Metal: All ferrous and non ferrous metal including large appliances with or without Freon.
Take these to the Landfill! FREE Yard and Garden Waste: Leaves & grass FREE; hedge clippings, branches, and all other yard waste $5/Load ($120/tonne Commercial businesses)
Take these to the Landfill! $5/Load Clean Woodwaste: unpainted and uncoated wood of all types including dimensional lumber, pallets, fencing, etc. Tipping fees apply for drop off.
Take these to the Landfill! Gypsum (drywall): New drywall post-1990 must be kept separate from drywall pre-1990.
Take these to the Landfill!