Housing Needs Reports
The ACRD has received UBCM funding to complete a Housing Needs Report (HNR) for each of the six Electoral Areas (EAs), four Treaty First Nations, and an overall regional summary report. Reports for Bamfield EA, Uchucklesaht Tribe Government, and Huu-ay-aht First Nations will be developed independently. The following HNRs will be completed by geographic area: Alberni Valley (Beaufort, Sproat Lake, Beaver Creek, and Cherry Creek EAs), and the West Coast (Long Beach EA, Toquaht Nation, and Ucluelet First Nation, in partnership with the Districts of Tofino and Ucluelet). The Bamfield, Alberni Valley, and Uchucklesaht Tribe Government (UTG) HNRs are currently underway, with the final Bamfield HNR currently being drafted, and various engagement opportunities for the Alberni Valley and UTG. More information on the specific HNRs can be found on the following pages:
- Bamfield Housing Needs Report
- Alberni Valley Housing Needs Reports (ACRD website) or Alberni Valley Housing Needs Reports (Let's Connect ACRD)
- Uchucklesaht Tribe Government Housing Needs Report
BackgroundOn April 16, 2019 legislative requirements took effect that municipalities and regional districts in BC are required to complete HNRs by April 2022 and every five years thereafter. These reports will help local and BC governments better understand and respond to housing needs in communities throughout BC. Local governments are required to collect approximately 50 distinct kinds of data about current and projected population, household income, significant economic sectors, and currently available and anticipated housing units.
Provincial information on HNRs is available here.
Project OverviewThe HNRs will be developed while working collaboratively with ACRD member municipalities, First Nations, the public, key stakeholders, and special interest groups to:
- Provide an overall better understanding of current and future housing needs for residents and stakeholders
- Fulfill provincial requirements, and be a first step in the development of a future regional housing action plan
- Position the different areas to implement collaborative projects and leverage funding opportunities
- Provide staff with the evidence to present to the Board to allocate funding for future HNRs
- Help inform future comprehensive Official Community Plan (OCP) reviews in each EA
Your support, involvement, and participation is important! Please see the specific HNR project pages for details on the process and engagement opportunities.