Housing Needs Reports
The ACRD has received UBCM funding to complete a Housing Needs Report (HNR) for each of the six Electoral Areas (EAs), four Treaty First Nations, and an overall regional summary report.
Reports for Bamfield EA, Uchucklesaht Tribe Government, and Huu-ay-aht First Nations are being developed independently. The following HNRs are being completed by geographic area: Alberni Valley (Beaufort, Sproat Lake, Beaver Creek, and Cherry Creek EAs), and the West Coast (Long Beach EA, Toquaht Nation, and Ucluelet First Nation, in partnership with the Districts of Tofino and Ucluelet, and Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation).
- The Bamfield HNR was completed in July 2021, and is available here.
- The Alberni Valley EA's (Beaufort, Sproat Lake, Beaver Creek, and Cherry Creek) HNRs are currently being drafted, and are anticipated to be completed in September 2021. More information is available here.
- The Uchucklesaht Tribe Government HNR is currently being drafted, and is anticipated to be completed in September 2021. More information is available here.
- The Huu-ay-aht First Nations HNR will begin in September 2021.
- The Long Beach EA, Toquaht Nation, and Ucluelet First Nation HNRs are underway (as part of the West Coast Housing Need and Demand Study), with a number of community engagement activities occurring over August and September 2021, including the following surveys to provide input on housing in the West Coast communities:
BackgroundOn April 16, 2019 legislative requirements took effect that municipalities and regional districts in BC are required to complete HNRs by April 2022 and every five years thereafter. These reports will help local and BC governments better understand and respond to housing needs in communities throughout BC. Local governments are required to collect approximately 50 distinct kinds of data about current and projected population, household income, significant economic sectors, and currently available and anticipated housing units.
Provincial information on HNRs is available here.
Project OverviewThe HNRs will be developed while working collaboratively with ACRD member municipalities, First Nations, the public, key stakeholders, and special interest groups to:
- Provide an overall better understanding of current and future housing needs for residents and stakeholders
- Fulfill provincial requirements, and be a first step in the development of a future regional housing action plan
- Position the different areas to implement collaborative projects and leverage funding opportunities
- Provide staff with the evidence to present to the Board to allocate funding for future HNRs
- Help inform future comprehensive Official Community Plan (OCP) reviews in each EA