ACRD on Twitter

Whats New

Citizens of Vancouver Island's west coast are asking all overnight vehicle and tent campers to make a reservation at an authorized campground before arriving on the West Coast.
The ACRD receives a 2022 Emergency Support Services grant from the Union of BC Municipalities

Development Permits

DP Wordle The Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District is made up of following six electoral areas; "A" - Bamfield, "B" - Beaufort, "C" - Long Beach, "D" - Sproat Lake, "E" - Beaver Creek, and "F" - Cherry Creek. Each area has its own Official Community Plan (OCP).

Within each OCP, there are areas designated as Development Permit Areas (DPA's). If a property owner is considering construction and/or development within any of the DPA's, approval of a development permit would be required prior to beginning.

Each electoral area designates different DPA's. There are currently three DPA categories; Riparian Areas Protection, Natural Hazard Areas Protection, and Form and Character. Summaries of Development Permit requirements are available at the planning counter in the Regional District office. These are provided to help residents and property owners get a clear picture of what may be required when planning construction and/or development on their land.

The following procedure outlines the basic steps of the development permit application process. Each application is unique and has the potential for various requirements to be satisfied prior to the issuance of the permit. It is recommended that all property owners who are considering development of property consult with the ACRD Planning Department prior to application in order to identify any additional steps that may be required.

Area "A" Bamfield Development Permit Requirements Summary in pdf

Area "B" Beaufort Development Permit Requirements Summary in pdf

Area "C" Long Beach Development Permit Requirements Summary in pdf

Area "D" Sproat Lake Development Permit Requirements Summary in pdf

Area "E" Beaver Creek Development Permit Requirements Summary in pdf

Area "F" Cherry Creek Development Permit Requirements Summary in pdf


1. If you are considering construction or development of a piece of property, first determine if the property is within a development permit area (DPA). If it is, make an application. An Application for Development form can be obtained from the ACRD office and/or online. Payment of the applicable fee will be required. Click here for fee schedule.

2. Once the fee has been received, the application will be reviewed by the Planning Department. A report is prepared and will include recommendations and requirements to ensure compliance with all relevant regulations.

3. Environmental DPA's (Riparian, Natural Hazard, and Coastal Protection) require a report completed by a Qualified Environmental Professional (QEP). Criteria to be assessed by the QEP is relevant to the type of DPA. This report becomes part of the Development Permit document. It is the recommendation/conclusion of the QEP that will determine the approval or denial of the permit. Environmental DPA's are forwarded to the area Director for their comments, including the professional reports, and are issued by ACRD staff.

4. For Form and Character DPA's, a report is prepared and a documentation package (including reports and application documents) is submitted to the electoral area Advisory Planning Commission (APC) and Director for their review. The APC meeting is an informal public meeting of local volunteers who provide their recommendation(s) to the area Director. It is recommended that the applicant attend this meeting. The application is then considered by the Regional Board. It will be the decision of the Board as to whether the permit is approved or denied.

5. A permit can only be denied if the DPA guidelines are not met (ie. a QEP says the DPA guidelines cannot be met). Alternatively, the Board and/or planning staff may set additional conditions on approval of the permit, or deny the permit upon consideration of the QEP report or non-compliance with the OCP objectives.

6. Notice of the Development Permit is forwarded to the Victoria Land Title office for registration onto the Certificate of Title for the subject property. The Development Permit remains registered to the subject property throughout ownership changes.

IMPORTANT! Please Note: If at any stage, the proposal is not supported (ie. By the Planning Department, the APC, or the Regional Board), the applicant would be notified immediately and given the opportunity to amend the proposal and/or provide justification for the proposal as submitted.