When is a Building Permit Required?
A Building Permit is required when you:
- Construct any new building or structure
- Construct a new accessory building
- Make alterations, additions or repairs to an existing building or structure
- Complete a previously unfinished area in an existing building, (e.g., a recreation room or bathroom)
- Make interior structural renovations
- Demolish or relocate a building or structure
- Locate or relocate a manufactured or mobile home on a lot
- Remodel or construct a deck
- Construct a swimming pool
- Install or alter plumbing within a building or structure or on a property
- Install a new chimney or fireplace
- Enclose your carport
- Change the use/occupancy of an existing building, (i.e., from office to retail)
This is not a comprehensive list. If you are unsure whether your project will require a permit visit the Contacts Page for emails or call 250-720-2700.
Note: You may not start any stage of a project, including demolition or excavation, until a building permit has been obtained.
A Building Permit is not required for:
- Installing cupboards
- Roofing repairs or replacements (providing that no structural changes are made)
- Exterior finish repair or replacement (e.g., stucco or siding, providing that no structural changes are made)
- Landscaping or sidewalks
- Buildings (e.g., a storage shed) less than 10 square metres in size (note: even though a permit is not required, the structure must still comply with zoning regulations with respect to setbacks and height)
Note: A detached accessory building less than 10 square metres and built on properties containing a single family dwelling is exempt from requiring a building permit, but must still meet setback requirements specified in the Zoning Bylaw.
Visit the Contacts Page for electronic document submissions, application or permit inquiries or other external agency contact information.
Downloadable Forms (PDF)
Building Permit Application Requirements
The following information is required upon application for a building permit. If all items listed below are not attached, the permit application will not be accepted.
- 1 completed Building Permit Application
- 2 sets of plans that include foundation layout and details, floor plans and point loads, roof plan and point loads, cross section, north/south/east/west elevation drawings
- 1 site plan showing location of existing and proposed structures on property. Note: any structure within 20 feet of a given setback will require a registered BC Land Survey.
- 1 recent certificate of title (can be obtained at a Land Titles registry agent).
- Proof of Island Health Filing of Sewerage System Form.
- 1 homeowner protection form approved by the homeowner protection office. Forms can be obtained from the Homeowner Protection Office 1-800-407-7757.