ACRD on Twitter

Whats New

Citizens of Vancouver Island's west coast are asking all overnight vehicle and tent campers to make a reservation at an authorized campground before arriving on the West Coast.
The ACRD receives a 2022 Emergency Support Services grant from the Union of BC Municipalities
ContactsPlanning & Development ResourcesBuilding InspectionMapsProjects & Initiatives

Building Inspection

Updated Building Bylaw Regulation
On May 26, 2021, the ACRD Board of Directors adopted Building Bylaw PS1011 (download PDF). Visit the Bylaws Page to find additional ACRD Bylaws.

Summary of updated Building Bylaw changes:

  • New $100 application fee (due when building permit application is submitted)
  • Minimum building permit fee increased from $50 to $100
  • Building permit fee doubled when construction is started without a building permit
  • New expiration time (6 months) to submit a complete building permit application, and 60 days to pay and pick up an approved building permit
  • Exemption for farm buildings under 500 square metres on properties with active farm status
  • Updated fee schedule (including calculating fee based on new definition)

Contact Us

Visit the Contacts Page for electronic document submissions, application or permit inquiries or other external agency contact information.

Notices & Updates
General Information

Do I need a building permit? How do I apply?

  1. Yes, you need a building permit for any structure being built, renovated or moved on to any property within the Regional District.
  2. First, contact the Regional District Office to find out about zoning setbacks, minimum size requirements, maximum height requirements, maximum lot coverage, etc.
  3. Contact a Registered Onsite Wastewater Practitioners. You must have a Proof of Island Health filing of Sewerage System Form.
  4. A recent copy of your Certificate of Title may be obtained from a Land Titles registry agent. You must have this certificate to apply for a building permit.
  5. Contact your local Transportation and Highways Office for an access permit, even if a driveway already exists.
  6. Applications for a water connection should be made to Beaver Creek Water System (at the ACRD office), Cherry Creek Waterworks District or the Regional District depending on where your property is located.
  7. Obtain your building permit from the Building Department at the Regional District Office. Building permits are required within the whole Regional District. Application may be downloaded from here: Building Permit Application Information Page
  8. You will require the following in order to apply for a building permit:
    1. 2 sets of plans
    2. recent certificate of title
    3. Proof of VIHA filing of Sewerage System Form
    4. plot plan showing where all buildings are located on the lot.
    5. 1 homeowner protection form approved by the homeowner protection office. Forms can be obtained from the Homeowner Protection Office 1-800-407-7757.
  9. A house number will be issued after your permit is approved.
  10. The Electrical Inspector must also approve your plans for construction, and he should be informed of your intention to build. He requires one copy of your building plans before he can issue an electrical permit.
  11. After all the above is complete, you should contact BC Hydro and Telus. They will require a house number in order to hook your house up to appropriate services. Canada Post will require a final occupancy permit before they will assign a postal box.

How close can I build my house next to a river, lake or the sea?

The Provincial Government has requested Regional Districts and Municipalities to incorporate Provincial standards regarding siting of buildings adjacent to water courses in local Zoning By-laws. You should contact the Regional District Office and the Ministry of Environment, for these restrictions.