Proposed Tofino-Ucluelet Transit Service
In 2017, a West Coast Transportation Study was commissioned in order to define the desired scope of a potential transit service in the context of current transportation services. This was followed by the completion of an updated West Coast transit feasibility study completed in 2018. From the feasibility study, the ACRD Board of Directors directed staff to work with BC Transit to engage stakeholders and the broader public on a potential conventional fixed route transit service that would operate between Tofino and Ucluelet serving stops in between including the First Nations communities of Hitacu, Esowista and Ty-histanis. The public engagement was completed in April 2019 with a majority of respondents in support of the proposed service and a willingness to increase taxes to pay for the service.
Spring 2019, the ACRD Board of Directors provided staff direction to draft governance and cost allocation options for the Board's review prior to moving ahead with an Alternative Approval Process in order to gain consent from the electorate for the creation of a West Coast transit service. The governance and cost allocation information will become available later in 2019.
For more information about the proposed service, please contact:
Rob Williams, General Manager of Environmental Services
Below are reference documents in pdf to this project.
- 2017 West Coast Transportation Study
- 2018 Tofino - Ucluelet Transit Feasibility Study
- 2019 Tofino - Ucluelet Transit Feasibility Study - Addendum
- 2019 Tofino - Ucluelet Public Transit Engagement Report
- Appendix A - Open House Boards
- Appendix B - Online Telephone Survey Results
- Appendix C - Additional Open House Comments
- Appendix D - Targeted - BC Transit - Engagement
- 2019 Tofino - Ucluelet Transit Engagement Results Presentation