Port Alberni Air Quality Council
MISSION STATEMENT: The Port Alberni Air Quality Council serves to promote health by working to ensure the cleanest possible air for the Alberni Basin and its inhabitants.
The Port Alberni Air Quality Council (AQC) is a multi-stakeholder initiative in the Alberni Basin that is dedicated to airshed management and air quality monitoring, research and education. It provides a community forum for stakeholders that represent various government agencies, local industry representatives, health authorities, community members at large and air quality advocates to work collaboratively together to improve air quality within the Alberni region.
The objective of the Air Quality Council is to act as a communication platform where stakeholders and decision makers come to work collaboratively. The platform is designed to act as an efficient and effective information-sharing venue, which will result in the overall improvement of the Alberni Valley airshed. Engagement and thoughtful dialogue of the AQC's collective stakeholders, along with feedback from the community, help support policy making and define strategic priorities for projects, partnerships, and research as directed by the Alberni Air Quality Society.
Air Quality Council Goals
- Act as a lead steward in the development and implementation of the Airshed Management Plan
- Address the impacts of climate change and carbon dioxide increases in the atmosphere
- Seek the co-operation of all agencies and stakeholders in promoting and protecting clean air
- Facilitate information sharing between public and private sectors
- Educate and inform the community regarding air quality issues and ways to mitigate pollutants to ensure a healthy airshed
- To take seriously our responsibility for air quality within a regional, provincial, national and global context, including greenhouse gas emissions and climate change
- Encourage clean air lifestyles and business practices
- Integrate regional air quality goals into local government policies, including land use and transportation management
- Ensure comprehensive monitoring of air quality
- Connect and collaborate with other community groups with an air quality focus
- Obtain funding for airshed planning and improvement
Air Quality Council Members 2020
- Port Alberni Fire Chief: Mike Owens
- Port Alberni Council Representative: Ron Corbeil
- ACRD Board Representative: Diane Bodnar
- BC MOE Air Quality Meteorologist: Earle Plain
- Island Health Environmental Health Officer: Stephanie Bruvall
- First Nations Health Authority: Karen Larsen
- Catalyst Paper Environmental Manager: Larry Cross
- Catalyst Paper: Ashley Popovich
- MLA's Office: Patty Edwards
- Alberni Air Quality Society Representative: Judy Carlson
- Agricultural Representative: Gary Swan
- Member-at-large: Dave Jarret
- SD 70 Representative: Rosemarie Buchanan
- Chair: Anna Lewis
- Providing consultation, when requested, for MOE (ie. intentions papers, development of educational resources, etc.), Island Health, local government (OCP, SWMP, complaints, etc), businesses, media, and community groups.
- Attending the two main provincial air quality forums (BC Clean Air Forum presented by the Fraser Basin Council; Air Quality and Health Conference presented by BC Lung)
- Responding to complaints and air quality related referrals.
- Strategic airshed management planning.
- Related community planning (ie. traffic patterns, idling policy, OCP) and bylaw development.
- Continuing education regarding residential and industrial pollution, best practices, and mitigation strategies.
- Meetings and information exchange within the council itself, with the ACRD, with the city, and with related groups such as the Clean Air BC Network.
AQC Project HistoryOver the years, the AQC has selected project themes to focus its direction and actions:
Project I - Clear the Air
Project II - Fine Particulate Sampling
Project III - Backyard Burning
Project IV - Proposal for Pilot Dioxin Testing
Project V - Air Quality Education
Project VI - Port Alberni Woodstove Exchange
Project VII - Inventory of Air Quality Bylaws on Vancouver Island
Project VIII - Port Alberni Woodstove Exchange II
Project IX - ACRD Air Quality Web Page Production
Project X - Burn It Smart
Project XI - Wood-Heating Appliance Survey
For photos and a full description of each project go to: