ACRD on Twitter

Whats New

Effective at noon, Friday, June 19, 2020, all open fires will again be permitted throughout the Coastal Fire Centre

Bylaw Enforcement

By Law Enforcement

The Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District has regulatory bylaws covering land use, noise, building, soil removal and unsightly premises. The Regional District policy is to respond to written public complaints. Inquiries regarding bylaw enforcement can be made by contacting the Bylaw Enforcement Office at (250) 720-2700.

Who regulates noise problems?
Municipal Councils and Regional Districts have authority to regulate and prohibit excessive noise. The City of Port Alberni, District of Ucluelet, District of Tofino, Sproat Lake Electoral Area, Beaver Creek Electoral Area and Cherry Creek Electoral Area have noise control by-laws. Please contact you local RCMP for enforcement procedure or complaints or contact the Regional District for copies of the appropriate bylaws. Bylaws can also be found here: ACRD Bylaw Page
Who regulates the control of animals?
The Regional District can regulate the control of animals but does not. The following applies in the District. If you wish to keep animals off your property YOU must build a fence to keep them out.

Keeping of Animals brochure in pdf
Who has jurisdiction over drainage problems?
In many instances, drainage problems crop up due to change in run-off patterns resulting from new roads, ditching, land clearing and the like. Your first inquiry should be at the Ministry of Transportation, if you think their drainage system is causing the problem. Other than that, in most cases, if it's a neighbour who is causing the problem, it comes down to an issue that must be resolved between you and your neighbour.