Short Term Vacation Rentals
BackgroundNightly, weekend, and weekly short term vacation rental (STR) accommodations on residential properties are increasing. Within the Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District (ACRD) STR's are primarily concentrated within Sproat Lake, Bamfield and Long Beach Electoral Areas and mainly located on properties not zoned for rental accommodation. Regional District staff are increasingly receiving more complaints regarding the STR of properties inconsistent with residential zoning for single family dwellings. Some complaints include the properties being overcrowded, noisy, issues with vehicle and boat parking, public intoxication, traffic and inadequately designed sewage disposal systems.
Public ConsultationIn September and October 2017, the ACRD undertook a series of public consultation initiatives to explore stakeholder input and insights on the local issues related to STRs, learn from other communities' experiences, and determine how to move forward in managing these types of rentals in the ACRD. Public consultation initiatives included a series of open houses (review the open house boards here), display boards at the ACRD office, and an online comment form to gain input on the following policy options for STRs:
- Permit STRs by rezoning the property
- Permit STRs with a Temporary Use Permit (TUP)
- Continue to not permit STRs and enhance enforcement
- Prepare a policy document for consideration by the Board requiring that STR applications are first considered by Temporary Use Permit (TUP);
- Draft an amendment to the Development Procedures Bylaw to increase the application fee for a STR Temporary Use Permit from $300 to $600; and
- Include a potential increase to bylaw enforcement resources to the 2018 budget discussions.
Next StepsAs directed by the ACRD Board, staff have prepared a STR TUP Policy, and an amendment to the Development Procedures and Fees Bylaw to increase the fee for a STR TUP. The policy and bylaw amendment are being considered by the ACRD Board of Directors at the December 13, 2017 Board meeting (STR memo to Board December 13, 2017).
Contact UsFor additional information or if you have any questions, please contact us: Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District
Planning and Development